An Open or Fixed Universe?

Last week our Bible Study had fun discussing the topic of prayer and whether the plan of God is "fixed" or "open". We are reading Celebrating the Disciplines by Richard Foster which is a bit mystical and Quaker in its theology. I will say I enjoy reading something that is a bit out of my usual swim lane. Theologically I am hardly a cesationist, and I welcome learning about how we can experience greater intimacy with God and hear His voice. I believe there is a very real aspect of the Christian life that is experiential.

So far, I do not have an issue with too many of Foster’s methods. The theology, however, I have found to be problematic at certain points. There was one line in his chapter on prayer where he stated God is continually changing His mind as His children pray: "the Bible stresses so forcefully the openness of our universe that, in an anthropomorphism hard for modern ears, it speaks of God constantly changing his mind in accord with his unchanging love." This quote justifiably sparked rich discussion in our group.

On the surface, it may seem empowering that I can have such an impact on things, that I can change the course of the world. Your prayers can alter the course of history! But, there is another edge to the sword: such a claim would also mean that my inattention in prayer, my failure to obey--could potentially change the plan of God! And to be sure there is much lacking in my efforts, piety, and faith--even on my best days! If I lived in such a world, I would be afraid, hesitant to make a mistake that would ruin things. I would feel shame for the failures I have made and the unknown repercussions that have most assuredly followed. 

Hardly empowered.

An open existence, "where God is constantly changing His mind in accord with his unchanging love," would heap enormous pressure on us as our failures to act and pray will have horrific consequences. "Because you did not share the gospel with that person who just now passed away, his blood is on your hands! He is in hell because of your deliberate disobedience!" "Because you did not pray for that man, his illness got worse and He died. Your disobedience contributed to his premature passing!" Instead of a God who is watching His plan from eternity past unfold, God is instead wishing, hoping, pleading that these human agents will just get on board already and stop disrupting His hopes of the future.

My theology of suffering and pain would have to adjust if God’s plan is not established. Instead of seeing all suffering as part of God's ultimate plan to either sanctify those in Him or further reveal the depravity of the reprobate, things would appear less far sighted. How could someone imbibed with such future altering ability be crippled by disease? Surely the man is suffering because there is something lacking in the man. Detached from any overarching purpose, lack of healing must be due to lack of faith. Your prayers have so much power that if you only had more faith all would be well. But aha, you do not have enough, and this is the extreme position that many churches take with this presupposition.

If we zoom out a bit: would there be any certainty or security offered to us if God could change His mind? I am not sure. Could His promises be trusted if His plan could be changed? I do not think the adherents believe this, but you can see where the logic leads. And of course, could my all-powerful will ultimately revoke my salvation if it so desired? It absolutely could! The more I think of living in such an open existence, the more fearful the proposition seems.

But if instead God really does know the "end from the beginning, from former times what is still to come." If he is the one who "forms darkness and creates light", whose "purpose will stand" and who does "all that He pleases." If He is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End; If He is the Author and Perfecter of our faith--we can rest in Him knowing that everything is going according to His ultimate plan. Yes, there is a need for us to work and toil and pray--this has never been a Biblical excuse for inaction--but we can do this knowing that God is all-powerful to answer our requests, and ultimately is working all things according to the counsel of his will. Instead of a hurried panic where everything hangs in the balance of my decisions and my faithfulness, I can praise God that He includes my efforts of faith in His sovereign plan. What a privilege it is now to be a part of heaven's work!

I do not see the inner mechanics of how God works out His eternal will with wholly volitional human agents. There is some knowledge that I agree with David to be altogether "too wonderful for me." "It is high; I cannot attain unto it." I know God is sovereign over every molecule of matter in every era of history. I also know that He loves to answer prayer, and He gives us His Spirit that we may live with power for Him while we are here.

Regardless of how this mystery comes together, God will one day judge us based on how we lived in time. A day is coming when we will have to stand before God and give an account for what we did with the resources and gifts we received. It is therefore our job to be faithful, His job to be sovereign. Our job to be obedient, His job to work everything out. 

As a former mentor once told me, "Live like an Arminian, sleep like a Calvinist." Another words, live and pray as if we live in an open universe where everything we do matters; all the while resting in the fact that nothing happens outside the sovereign will of God. That, I think, is good advice to heed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Dangers of Self-Revolution

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"