General Life Update 1.11.22

2021 was a heavy year, with plenty of good and bad. COVID restrictions had their effect on many. I had several friends and acquaintances pass away which added to the general heaviness of the year. Some were older some were young. I can't help but shake the feeling that I am on borrowed time. Life is so short, which brings to mind this Samuel Davies sermon you definitely should read.

Elena at 7 months
Apart from me continuing to work from home, my immediate family has been healthy and growing--largely unaffected by COVID. Praise God! Maybe we have been too healthy! Parenthood has been more difficult than I had anticipated, and these boys are making Montana and me work! My family has grown from 4 to 5 members, with the particular birthing event of Elena Rae being the highlight of my year. Having a daughter has been an overwhelming blessing. Hudson (age 4) and Brooks (age 2) are so full of masculine energy and violence it has been nice to meet someone who is pure sweetness and smiles. Don't get me wrong the boys are sweet too, but this girl is different. Truly a gift.

This past weekend I finally got a deer! My friend has been letting me come out to his farm and I was so happy to be able to get this guy on what was the last day of gun season in MD. Hunting has been really discouraging for me over the last few years. I don't think I realized how ambitious starting from scratch with a compound bow would be and I made just about every mistake in the book: from not dressing warmly enough, to not marking distances, to getting smelled out by deer. The first deer I hit I never recovered, and there were a few after which told a very similar story. Not sure if it was bad shots or bad luck, or a combination of both, but it definitely was not for want of practicing. I did get a small doe two years ago with my friend, who out of sympathy, sat with me on his stand and let me use his gun. 

So having been discouraged with the bow I purchased a shotgun last year only to miss a deer at 15 yards, which did not help my confidence! In other words, I was due for this one and the new straight-walled rifle is really nice. A 50 - 60 yard shot and a very humane death. Tasty!

While we are on the topic of harvesting local food, here is some catfish me and my brother-in-law caught. If you ever need catfish I am your guy; there are so many in the Potomac. 

Goals for 2022 include mostly more Bible reading. In a broken world with uncertainty around every corner only thinking on the truth will get me through (Phil 4:8). I am doing the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan so far this year which is 2 Old Testament chapters and 2 New Testament chapters a day, which should get me close to reading through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice. It is not too late to join in with me. 

I also hope to read some more this year push myself in areas I need growth in. Mom and Dad got me the works of Thomas Brooks for Christmas, which should pass the time quite well. I have also been enjoying Scott Christensen's newer book What About Evil, which seeks to offer a "muscular theodicy" relying more on Scripture and less on philosophy. He writes well and does a good job of explaining each differing view on the problem of evil. Another book I have been listening via audible is Thomas Watson's All Things for Good, which is a rich explanation of Romans 8:28. For those who love God and are called by Him, everything that happens in your life works for your good. What a blessed thought to dwell on!

I always like to hear from people who enjoy the blog. I have been trying to write more on here and have been encouraged after getting shared a few times by prominent Christian blogger Tim Challies. Please check out his blog, he has a ton of great stuff on there and posts daily.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"

My “Force Awakens” review *With Spoilers*