Thankful


Thanksgiving was timely this year. Just a week before we gathered at my mom and dad's with family and friends, my little boy Hudson was born. He was 7 pounds 2 ounces. 20 inches long. The delivery was fantastic and everything seemed to line up perfectly. I am so blessed.

In fact as I write it is 1:09 AM--and he is up and getting some food. Apparently this is how babies roll (I am learning as I go if you could not tell).

When I was in the hospital with Montana during the active labor portion of childbirth, there were a few moments when I was struck with the "bigness" of what was occurring. This was not any momentary event. This was not just another task that we stress over or try to manipulate as best we can. What I got to see was the miracle of life--and I felt quite small and powerless as I witnessed this little man enter the world. It was truly an unbelievable experience, one I will never forget.

And now where there was two of us entering St. Mary's hospital--there are three of us leaving. We have another member of the family. A little dude. And I love him. And fortunately or unfortunately for him; he is going to be stuck with me and Montana as parents for the rest of his life.

Do you ever wonder to yourself: "Why me?" Sometimes I like to compare notes of my life with others:

Why is it that my parents stayed together throughout my entire life, while my best friend in elementary school had to watch his parents divorce?

Why is it that I was born to two parents who loved the Lord, knew Christ, and were so determined to instill in me that same knowledge of my Savior at day one--while so many other kids have no such influence?

Why is it that I was able to be put into a Christian school where I was the beneficiary of Christian teaching and care while most know no such thing?

Why is it that God put so many people throughout different seasons of my life to speak truth to me, when truth is such a rare commodity these days?

I could go on. There is a list.

But as I look at my life, it is almost absurd the bounty of heavenly favor I have received. And now as I hold little Hudson in my arms and look into his crusty little eyes, I feel the same weight of blessing. “God, why me?”

The truth of the matter is I do not deserve any of this. And I am not saying this to sound humble, I know what is in my heart.  I know what Daniel in himself really desires, and it is worthy of anything but good.

So as I mull over my life and how it has so quickly changed, I just want to give God thanks. He is not obligated to do any of this. And yet He does. I do not know why I have been the recipient of such heavy gifts, but I am.

My prayer to the Lord now is twofold:

1) Thank you, Lord, for everything.

2) Please help me not to waste it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Dangers of Self-Revolution

My “Force Awakens” review *With Spoilers*