Vibrant Colors

It has been a heavy year for me and my family. My father-in-law died in February. We are all still grieving the loss and getting used to this uniquely shaped void in our lives. My wife misses her Dad, and I miss my friend. We all were very close.

I can't help but mention we are still figuring out life with 3 little kids. Who knew something so normal as having a family could prove so strenuous and difficult? I used to look forward to having "big things in store" for my life down the road, but I am having trouble enough with these common things--thank you very much! If this is what the little things are like I don't think I want to see anything bigger. 

In addition to this we are considering family decisions and future possibilities: Where should we be? What should we be doing? How do I best provide for my family's needs? Should we homeschool? What about financial pressures and the changing economy? 

Decisions, decisions. In uncertain times too. These are grown up burdens common to life: the burying of loved ones, the management of a home, the raising of children--but they can quickly overwhelm us and mask themselves bigger than they really are.

Which is why we need to remember what is of first importance. Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 15:3, "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures." No matter what is going on in our lives there is something that cuts through it all and centers itself on our minds. Its significance goes beyond the momentary and the temporal, stretching to the far reaches of eternity. 100 years from now I will not be concerned so much with what housing arrangement I decided to go with in 2022. 500 years from now the ever present national and international politics will be forgotten. What remains is the gospel of Jesus Christ. He died for my sins according to the Scriptures, He was buried, and He rose again according to the Scriptures. This Suffering Servant took the wrath I was due for my sin, and reconciled me to God the Father. Because He lives, I too will live. Because He rose I too will rise. 

Do we come close to appreciating the significance of this? 

It is this news which must remain central in all the pressures and concerns of this life. It is upon this we must take our stand on, not wavering from this cornerstone of our Savior. Not forgetting His atonement. Ever gazing at the Author and Perfecter of our faith who died for my sin and rose for my justification. 

If there is anything that has been impressed upon my mind it is that time is short and we are all very quickly passing away. There are many things that matter, but only this gospel is of first importance. And as we stake our faith on this good news we will find a hope and a joy belonging to another world. We will come to know the assurance of our final salvation and the peace of God guarding our hearts. 

The troubles and changes of this world make poor saviors, but a mind on things above takes the pressure off these spinning plates. My greatest need is met; my deepest problem is dealt with. There is a freedom now to live in the temporal unlike the rest of mankind with all their fretting about a winding down clock. Now a light hearted purpose now lines the bleakest conditions. Black and white is infused with vibrant colors. The dead have been brought to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"

Dangers of Self-Revolution