Book in Review: Hole in our Holiness



I have read this book twice, and probably will read it again. DeYoung writes "Hole in Our Holiness" with clarity and conviction--addressing a void in the American church: Holiness. We preach grace, grace, and more grace (and rightfully so!), but if the extravagance of God does not call us to chase after holiness we have missed the point of grace. A modern message that forgives but does not call is nothing more than licentiousness--A free pass to heaven that conveniently ignores the purpose of salvation.

DeYoung reveals how central holiness is to the gospel message. In fact, one of the primary reasons for Christ saving His people is so that they will be holy(1 Peter 1:15-16, 2 Corinthians 7:1..etc)! DeYoung shows how this is not just the eventual: "in eternity I will be holy" but it is a call today to be holy. And though complete holiness is not yet fully attainable--we CAN grow in it by the grace of God. We can be obedient children today.

The most helpful chapter for me was when DeYoung breaks down Biblical motivations for holiness. He points out that the gospel is not the only motivation for a life of obedience and holiness. Though it is a great (and primary) motivator, it is not the only one. God uses positive reinforcement as well as negative reinforcement to keep us on the path. Personally I found the truth that--sin unchecked makes a Christian ineffective--incredibly motivating. I am someone who greatly desires God to use me, and if sin cripples my ministry I want nothing to do with it.

I have recommended Hole in Our Holiness to multiple friends. It is concise, easy to read, and brings pure Scripture throughout its pages. In an era of "tolerance" and cheap grace--I believe this book is a must read for every Christian.

Find this review helpful? Let me know on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"

Dangers of Self-Revolution