Become Today



When I was in college, I sat down with one of my mentors to talk about my future. I was a senior at the time and, though I was not sure what I was going to do with my life then, (not that much has changed since) I was pretty sure about the man I wanted to become. I wanted to grow in discipline and grow in boldness. I wanted to be someone who was not characterized by the fear of man, but by his convictions.


We all have ambitions and things we desire to become. Sometimes I picture myself--I don’t know, twenty years in the future--as a man who has finally arrived. A man who is bold for the gospel and disciplined in his walk. Someone who has long been freed from the laziness, apathy, and youthful lusts. Though definitely unrealistic, I am sure that you can all relate with me about sharing idealistic dreams of the future.

That is when my mentor told me: "Circumstances will never change who you are. You must become today the man you want to be tomorrow."

Sometimes we think, "Once I am in college, then I will apply myself and start getting good grades." Or "Once I get that new job, then I will really work hard." "Once I get married, then I will start showing myself responsible and caring for others." Wrong. In all likelihood, when you are married--you will be the same person you were when you were single. The work ethic you displayed in high school will undoubtedly transfer into college. Though events and major life changes can affect us positively, they never change who we are.

That is what I think Jesus was hinting at when he told the parable of the talents. To those who were faithful with what was given them Jesus says, "You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" The faithful stewards were not waiting around for a bigger opportunity to prove themselves. They did not spend their time dreaming of what they would do when more was entrusted to them. Instead, they were tirelessly working to multiply the master’s funds the moment they received them. That faithfulness proved to be the test for more responsibility in the future.

We do not live in Disney World, where Cinderella is turned into a princess overnight. We do not wake up one morning to find ourselves transformed into superman, fully equipped to save humanity (as awesome as that would be). Let’s not passively wait around with our heads in the sand until we eventually become the men and women God has called us to become. Life is too short. We will die first.  

Build habits and disciplines now that will change who you are in the future. In the areas you lack and struggle, do not simply hope for improvement. Practice. Work. Pray. Now. Become today the person God commands you to be.


"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." 
-- Philippians 2:12-13

Comments

  1. Oh oh! Great one! Love this one! Thanks for helping me get my head out of the sand hahaha but really. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh! Great one! Love this one! Thanks for helping me get my head out of the sand hahaha but really. Xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"

My “Force Awakens” review *With Spoilers*