Faithful in Little


There is a major emphasis in our world at large on leadership, self-improvement, overcoming obstacles, and finding the best version of yourself. Achieving goals and actualizing dreams. You are familiar with the messaging I am sure. It is no surprise to me that such ideas have for a while existed in our modern, Western Christianity. There is enough overlap between the “modern motivationalism” and the New Testament statements of “life abundant” and “be ye transformed”, that the former can be easily conflated with the latter, provided there is a slight cherry picking of the Bible verses to satisfy the majority of the evangelical masses. Many of us see no contradiction in the two messages, and our Christianity is thus shaped by the surrounding culture.

The difference between the two is subtle, but nevertheless foundational. Jesus came that we might have life and have it to the full! But this fullness can only be experienced if we let go of ourselves. If we lose ourselves that we might find Him. The motivationalism popular in our culture is in agreement with abundant fullness of life as an outcome, but it seeks to attain it by self-aggrandizement. The popular empowering statements announcing “you are special” and “you deserve it” and “there is no limit to what you can accomplish” reveal this man-centric focus, which is very much opposed to the message of a Christ who calls all to come and die.

The truth is we are not special. We do not deserve it. There are significant limits to what we can accomplish. And that is okay! It does not mean we need to wallow in our inability, but it does mean that we need to find our hope and our value in Someone outside ourselves. When we lose ourselves in His vision and in the building of His Kingdom, when we live not for ourselves but for the One we were created to live for—only then can we find ultimate meaning.

We can, however, recognize the contradiction between the two messages and yet still struggle with maintaining the Biblical call. We can reject the gospel of motivationalism and still find its primary tenants lingering in our hearts. I recognize in myself an at times profound desire for recognition. I want to do something big and really make a difference in the world. I want to become someone special, and see these self-aggrandizing dreams into reality!

And yet I look at my life and there is not much leading going on. But there is a lot of following. There is little setting the world on fire. There is a lot of being a normal husband and a dad. There is not much dream actualizing. There is a lot of putting in long (often dull) hours at work. These things are overwhelmingly not the things movies are made of, but there is no doubt in my mind that these are the things God has called me to do. To be a good dad to my son and a good husband to my wife. To serve faithfully in my church. To provide for my family. To grow closer to the Lord and fight sin in my life. To another words, be faithful in little.

And while Jesus promises those who are faithful in little will also be faithful in much (Luke 16:10), I do not think that extra responsibility is always entrusted in this life. At times it is, but I can think of many faithful Christians who have lived anonymous lives in the eyes of the world and never saw the “more” given to them by their Master. At least they did not in this life see more entrusted them by their Master. Not yet. But Jesus keeps his promises, and He will reward those He finds faithful.

What I am learning in this season of diapers and project analyzing, is to delight in the meniality. To delight in the roles and responsibilities I have been entrusted with right now. To relish those relationships I have been blessed with in this present moment and do my best to impact them for Christ. Instead of reaching beyond for more opportunities and a bigger platform, instead of yearning for a more “empowered life”, I am trying to ask the Lord to help me be faithful in the platform I stand on right now. Perhaps a time may come when more will be given, perhaps not. What does it matter? My greatest desire (or what I want my greatest desire to be) is to be faithful with the role God has given me to accomplish; I only want to hear: “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”

Maybe life is not quite what you envisioned it would be when you were younger. Perhaps you see a disparity between your accomplishments and the lives of the rich and famous. While the world teaches you continual discontentment and calls you to raise yourself beyond your current station, know that the Lord has called you to something right now. Big or small, exciting or dull—whatever it may be—may you be found faithful by your Master. There can be nothing more meaningful than to hear those words on that day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

My “Force Awakens” review *With Spoilers*

Book in Review: "Manhood Restored"