Is Social Media Worth it?

I have been wondering recently if social media is worth it. I am sure it is worth it for some people who have been gifted with a platform and the needed wisdom to use the medium well. Social media like most any tool is neutral territory; it is how one uses its powerful functions which determine its suitability for use.

Here is my recent thought process on why, for me, the cons seem to outweigh the pros:

Pros:

1) I can get a heartbeat of the culture and what is going on in the world. Perhaps my chief use of social media (largely Twitter) is that I am able to follow theologians, politicians, and other social commentators I respect, and see what they are saying about the events and ideas of the world. Because it is all in real time, it can be helpful to hear what others are saying the moment after something happens.

I also use social media to get a feel for what people are into and the questions people are asking. As Christians I believe we need to be listening to the culture, to a degree, in order that we are able to hear their questions and show how the gospel really does answer the questions they are asking. Much that is spoken from popular celebrities and social figures is the sentiment of the young—so it is important to think through the underlying beliefs which form these sentiments; and further think of how we can address them as Christians.

2) I can use the medium to speak truth and influence others. One of the opportunities provided by social media is the data is not a “one way” street. Social media can be a powerful opportunity for Christians to engage in the public square and pump out truth to a world lacking it so desperately. The tendency for many in the church is to either withdraw from the culture (my own tendency) or capitulate to its demands. It is fundamental that there are Christians who stand up and hold the line, speaking the truth in love no matter the consequences. Some are gifted at using social media for this end, but in my experience it seems very challenging to do well. It takes discernment, wisdom, and skill with the tool—which is a rare combination.

3) I can keep in touch with some of my long distance friends. Very practically, it is nice to check social media and see a photo of a new born child of a friend, or a marriage of an old middle school classmate. It is enjoyable to be able to see how people are getting on in the world, though they may be hundreds of miles away. Unfortunately, it seems that there is considerable extraneous content which gets in the way of seeing these valuable essentials.

Cons:

1) Time. Social media is designed to be addictive! The infinite scroll combined with the notification icon make for a lethal combination. And there is always something more to see. There is always newer information and hotter takes—which require that we check our feeds repeatedly throughout the day. It is not that social media demands a once a day 15 minute scroll—that would not be nearly so bad. It is that it demands continual “checks” throughout the day, encroaching on even on the most important moments: family dinners, face to face conversations, time with God.

2) Heightens need for social validation. Social media often degenerates into a game where the user is trying to get a response in the form of likes or positive comments. While these responses often give an immediate addictive sensation, the virtual likes and reactions are empty as the wind. While I think the emptiness is often recognized, it usually only drives the user further into the pattern of seeking more and more social validation through empty likes and comments. This has created a world of people obsessed with themselves and their own self-importance; while simultaneously being grossly unfulfilled.

3) Heightens temptations to comparison and envy. One of the things I have noticed in myself is social media plays into our weaknesses of envy and jealousy. Where before I may have been quite content with my life and my family, once I see someone else’s post about his life and his family and his new opportunities, I start to grow discontent. “How come that guy gets to get all that?” “How come I do not get any opportunities like that?” “And look at the amount of likes that guy got as well; why can’t I get any support like that?” Envy is a terrible sin where the sinner becomes wrapped up in his own little story on this small human plane, as opposed to the radical priviledge of being lost in God’s story. We surely do not need any assistance when it comes to this human weakness.

4) Heightens superficiality in relationships. Friendships used to be flesh and blood, face to face. Because you spent time with certain people and had many conversations with certain people—there was a level of intimacy present which made you friends with your friends. Both parties contributed time, experiences, and authenticity which resulted in the deep friendship now experienced. Now, however, social media allows for us to have hundreds of “friends” or “followers” but makes it very difficult to create or sustain real friendships. The medium caters to our tendency to only show the best (or at times doctored) portions of our life to the world. The result is no one really knows anyone—just seamless counterfeits of the real. On top of that, interaction through likes and sentence long comments is not the substance real friendships are made with.

5) Yields itself to simplistic takes and reactionary confrontations. One of the problems with the modern world is we are increasingly unable to think deeply about issues. We will read a tweet or a blog post and dub ourselves experts on the matter. Twitter is very bad about this as instant news commentary must be squeezed into the 280 character requirement. To be sure, not every piece of nonsense needs to be addressed slowly and carefully (many issues can be castigated with a few words and left at that!); but there are many issues and topics in realms of theology, politics, economics, morality which require deep thought to arrive at a reasonable conclusions. Unfortunately, we prefer to watch our twitter heroes fight it out with each other as they lob continual, short, biting epithets—while we are all further entrenched in a position we have really not thought much about.

6) Makes me sad. I almost never exit social media and feel better for the time spent. There are times I am led to a good article or I see a humorous video; but I almost never leave feeling that I have just been highly productive and God honoring with my time. Increasingly I see the multiplicity of divisions that exist in our world and it leaves me feeling hopeless of any future healing. I see the stances and beliefs of many of my friends or the popular sentiments in the culture, and I frequently find myself despairing of these issues ever correcting. With my personality already fairly melancholic as it is, it probably is not the best to feed the fire within.
**

To be sure, social media can be wielded well by some people. I have observed it firsthand. But it may be better for some of us (myself included) to think about just scrapping the whole thing. The cons I find quite overwhelming, and the pros I think can be achieved by other means. Something to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Responsibility vs. Christian Suffering

Dangers of Self-Revolution

My “Force Awakens” review *With Spoilers*